At Shawano Health Services, our highly skilled nurses provide the best quality care. Their skills are only half the picture. Each nurse is a gentle and caring person, with genuine concern for each resident.
The following skilled nursing services are available at Shawano Health Services:
- AED available in-house
- Post-cardiac surgery
- Care of patients receiving radiation off-site
- PO Chemotherapy
- Total joint replacement/repair
- PICC line care
- Port-a-cath care
- IV Antibiotics
- Gastrostomy/Jejunostomy tubes
- Hemodialysis provided off-site
- Ostomy care
- Nasogastric tubes
- Supra-pubic/Foley catheter
- Successful U.I. program
- Oxygen Therapy
- Tracheostomy care
Our experienced rehabilitation team is committed to providing outstanding results and excellent quality of care. Residents are empowered through individualized programs to reach goals of increased independence and ability. Resident families are also encouraged to participate in therapy sessions, caregiver education, and training.
Our physical therapy team works toward specific goals of achieving the resident’s highest functional level of independence. Physical therapy focuses on identification and rehabilitation of individuals with physical impairment and pain, as well as future injury prevention. Following evaluation, our experienced physical therapists develop an individualized treatment program. The goal is to achieve safety in a variety of areas.
Areas of treatment focus may include:
- Increase strength and mobility in the body and lower extremities
- Increase motor control for a resident who has suffered a stroke
- Improve coordination, balance and the ability to walk following a fracture
- Improve overall strength conditioning, range of motion and endurance
- Pain management
- Teaching proper body mechanics to prevent injury
- Promoting safety awareness for the well being of the resident
Our professional occupational therapists use task-directed activities in the treatment of our residents whose functional abilities, daily activities and independence have been impaired by illness, injury or aging.
Occupational therapy assists our residents in adapting to their social and physical environment by mastering tasks essential for daily living. Our occupational therapists may work with residents who have debilitating arthritic conditions or those with difficulty bathing, dressing and other activities of daily living. They assist residents with impaired vision and/or hearing to function well in their environment.
Areas of treatment may include:
- Functional independence: eating, bathing, toileting, homemaking, cooking, etc.
- Maintenance of wellness: dressing and grooming
- Prevention of further disability: home assessments and modifications, adaptive equipment
- Increasing safety awareness
Our speech therapists provide a range of interventions to assess and help restore abilities in the areas of communication, swallowing and cognition. Treatment programs are designed to help residents affected by stroke, brain injury, dementia, and other neurological disorders. Our professionals also work with residents suffering from hearing impairment, respiratory illnesses, and complex medical conditions.
Areas of treatment focus may include:
- Improving speech and voice clarity
- Increasing comprehension and verbal expression
- Improving chewing and swallowing ability
- Maximizing cognitive language skills: memory, problem-solving, and abstract reasoning
- Resident and family/caregiver education and training for managing ongoing difficulties with communication, cognition, and swallowing
A positive and uplifting atmosphere can set the tone for a resident’s stay. Shawano Health Services employs outgoing and friendly professional staff to create social programs and activities. We often specialize activities to match the capabilities and needs of each resident. This also has a powerful impact on the healing process.
Each resident is given an activities calendar to keep them informed of upcoming events such as birthday parties, movies, musical programs, and other special events. Friends and family are always welcome to visit and attend our special events.
Specific activities include:
- Church services
- Inspirations readings
- Coffee clutch
- Resident council
- Lady’s group
- Men’s group
- Wisconsin hold’em
- Packer games
- Badger games
- Brewer games
- Beauty shop
- Music n’ memory
- Sensory group
- Table ball
- Hand massages
- Dart ball tournament
- Monthly birthday party with live music
- Happy hour
- Wii games
- Holiday parties
Shawano Health Services social services team assists both residents and their families during transitional periods. We also provide essential information, manage requests and concerns, help in care planning, and manage discharge planning for each resident. While residing at our facility, we engage our residents and family in care conferences to ensure the quality of care and to keep an updated and current health status.
We can arrange professional services for:
- Arrange transportation to appointments
- Power of Attorney- we can refer to attorney for financial power of attorney
- Home health care
- ADRC referrals
- Community programs
- Wound care certified nurses
- Complex wound care
- Jackson-Pratt drain
- Negative pressure wound therapy
- Advanced modalities to decrease healing time (ultrasound, E-stim, etc.)
- PleurX Catheter
- Bariatric care
- Post-gastric bypass surgery
- Pain management
- Comprehensive home evaluations
- PT, OT, ST